Friday, September 14, 2012

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes



Ok so it's not a photo of me doing yoga but it does reflect the topic of this post.  Changes big and small have been happening for me since the last post.  The most recent change is my hair.  I got it cut Saturday.  I had been growing my hair to donate to Locks of Love.  (This is the 5th time I have donated.) I had been talking about cutting it for weeks.  Finally Saturday morning I couldn't go another day without cutting it.  I decided to go extreme and get a pixie cut.  So I walked into the salon with one end goal; cut the hair and get rid of the memories and negative energy it contained.  My hair wasn't doing me any favors but it certainly could do a great deal of good for someone else. After all, since the separation and progress of the divorce I needed to establish a completely new version of me.

Since the last time I donated my hair; my family bought a house and moved into it, we were separated for 9 months when my ex took a job across the country, we endured a difficult move from MD to UT, I suffered the continued breakdown of my marriage, we went through marriage and personal counseling, I processed the loss of my business that was beginning to prosper, I have been trying and not really succeeding in finding gainful employment in UT and ultimately we are going ahead in the dissolution of our marriage.  That's a lot to be carrying around on my head, literally and figuratively.

Now I've lightened my load.  I am, by way of my hair, letting go of the past and making way for the future.  I have cleared the path for new growth, personally and professionally.  I'm getting positive feedback and it feels great.  I must admit it also feels good to shock the bejesus out of people!  To do something so unexpected that it makes the people around me place more consideration on me and what I stand for.  Not only do people see me as selfless by helping such a great cause but they see me as a daring and spontaneous person who can roll with the punches and come up with a smile on my face no matter how extreme the outcome.  I also needed to do this to remind myself that no matter how I look, how I feel, or how things seem to be, I am the only one who can make myself truly happy.  There may not be any asana reflected in the photo but there is yoga none the less. Mental and emotional yoga is just as, if not more, important than the physical portion of the practice.  Heaven knows that even though my physical yoga is lacking these days I am doing more mental and emotional yoga than I have done in years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment